Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day 4 Nepal

Namaste! We reached day 4 of the life in Nepal. We started off early in the morning, with the sumptuous breakfast prepared by our hospitable and loving hosts. It was shocking for us to find out that they have to attend school on Sundays. Today’s warm up was led by Aaron Kang which helped us get to the school without much hassle and it definitely saved us from muscle aches and injuries. When we got to the school, the children were already playing and some of them were even sitting on the grassy areas revising their work. We continued with our Nepali lesson from the previous day and learnt more about the culture and the royal massacre. We slowly became more exposed to the Nepali culture and the language they speak. We continued with our CIP work which includes the painting of the banister which had intricately carved designs which we had to carefully paint. This made us reflect upon our reaction towards the painting project done back in school recently. We remember complaining endlessly about the smell of the paint and how it affected our concentration in class. Thinking about this, we felt pretty ashamed on how we reacted and that we found out that the foreign workers painting our school had it much worse off due to the size of our school and the hot sun they had to work under.

Much we have back in Singapore, we take for granted. We have to learn how to appreciate everything we have much more and better. With those thoughts, we continued with our work. As we progressed with the day’s work, we saw how much of our efforts paid off. Some of our very macho guys and girls continued with the previous day’s work, digging steps for the Nepali children to sit on. Others busied themselves with carrying heavy sand bags needed later on for plastering the toilet walls. Sand was dumped on the steps to level them as well as at the end of the slopes nearby to extend their playing area. Then came the delicious lunch! We ate in the classroom again with our kind guides, and Keren, Wayne and Esther, who helped to serve the food, speeded up the whole process. After lunch we had some free time with the Nepali students with whom we interacted and played games with. Soon after, classes started again. We got back to our respective duties and some had the opportunity to teach the Nepali students Science and Math. Through this experience we observed that the Nepali students were really attentive throughout the lesson and absorbed the new knowledge really fast. Well, we now appreciate our teachers much more. We were soon done with most of the work and prepared to hike back up to our resorts. We made much progress with the work we did today and that made us feel pretty accomplished. When got back, to the horror of the guys, their rooms had ABSOLUTELY NO WATER. They waited patiently and only got to shower much later. It is awfully dark outside now and we are pretty sure everyone is sleepy. A quote from Yumni “ LET’S GO TO SLEEP!” That’s what exactly what we are going to do now. Namaste!


Interview with Students from Janakyalyan School

1. What do you feel about the visitors that come to the school to help you? How have they changed your life in school?

Boy: I feel that the visitors who come here give us entertainment, so it’s quite fun for us. It is also a new method of teaching for the students, compared to what we have.
Girl: Those visitors who come, especially those who teach us, the students can learn more English. I feel that if the English-speaking teachers teach, we can learn English in a better way.

2. How do you feel about being able to study in school? How has education helped you?

Boy: I feel that I can help my parents to read and write as they are not educated. I can help my parents to sell goods such as, cattle and goat. When my parents know how to read and write, they won’t be cheated by other people. When I grow up, I can change my social life and find better jobs and gain new skills.
Girl: I agree with what he said. I am confident to read and write more even when I go to the city area. I will know what the signboard says. I can help contribute to society.

3/4. What do you usually do at home when you’re not in school? What are some activities you usually do at home with your parents?
Boy: When I do not have to attend school, I can help my parents to look after the cattle and goat. Sometimes I will collect the grass to feed the cattle. Sometimes, I will also work with my parents on the fields and do whatever I can do.
Girl: I have more things to do. I have to collect grass for the cattle, collect food and cook, and sometimes, I have to work on a school day and harvest rice.

5. Do you enjoy school?

Boy: I enjoy school a lot because I can learn to read and write and play with my friends.
Girl: I enjoy school.

6. Do you live far from here?

Boy: I take 10-15mins. My house is near the principal’s.
Girl: I take 30-35mins.

7. What do you want to see improve in the school?
Boy: If the school has new technology, eg. computers, the school will be a better place. Also, if there are teachers who specialize in different subjects like, English, Math, or Science, the school will be better. I also hope for better hygiene.
Girl: I agree with the boy. If the environment is better and teachers are better trained, the school will be a happier place.